Tuesday, June 15, 2010

IT WAS A BLUSTERY DAY IN EXUMA


I’m intrigued by Chris’ observations that many professionals don’t get the opportunity to dock a boat until they’re Captains.  That’s the best explanation for a situation I encountered a few years ago in Georgetown, Exuma. 

It was a blustery day, with the wind blowing across the fuel dock, when a large motoryacht approached for fueling.  His large vessel….perhaps 100-120’….was being blown off the dock, and the Captain just couldn’t get it close enough to reach the fuel station.  I watched for nearly half an hour as crew and dockhands tried “everything” from pulling by brute strength (doomed from the outset) to winching the boat to the dock, without success.  I remember wondering “why doesn’t he just drive forward on a mid-position spring line?” and somehow had the presence of mind not to tell this professional captain what to do. 

Boatmaster has an exercise in a smaller boat that teaches this simple maneuver.  I put it there because I remember that event.  If that Pro had used Boatmaster, he’d have had a much nicer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment